I studied theology at Westminster College, Oxford and then trained as a teacher at Hughes Hall College, Cambridge. I've taught 5 to 18 year olds in mainstream education including teaching SEN; young people permanently excluded from school; and also children on the autistic spectrum. Whilst working part-time as a teacher I trained as an integrative psychotherapist at The Whittington Hospital (NHS Trust) in London. Part of my training involved working with out-patients with complex mental health issues.
The integrative approach gave me training in Psychodynamic, Gestalt, Transactional Analysis, Object Relations, Existential and Transpersonal perspectives. My training took several years and provided a rigorous and in-depth grounding, it's intention was not for me to chose one or more school of thought, rather its aim was to facilitate an 'after-school' way of thinking. I benefit from not having collegial or theoretical affiliations and commitments, in other words I haven't already decided what I think about someone before I've got to know them. My training encouraged a critical stance toward theory; a self-reflexive stance toward my thinking, how I work, and how to offer genuine personal engagement in the therapeutic relationship.
I have an holistic approach to my own mental and physical health which in turn informs how I work. I've long had an interest in the philosopher and psychologist Friedrich Nietzsche. His writing has had a significant influence in my life and to my psychotherapeutic work; this has underpinned my long held view that I approach each of them the same - so far this has been to the betterment of both. Recently I've begun to describe my use of Nietzsche's ideas in various writing projects. To read more www.nietzscheanpsychotherapist.com
- NHS Psychotherapist for 4 years working with outpatients with complex mental health issues
- Tutor for 4 years on the Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling at the University of Cambridge
- Psychotherapist and executive coach for 8 years at The Grove Practice, Wimpole St, London W1
- Lead Tutor since 2011 for the Diploma in Integrative Supervision of Individuals and Groups at The Grove
- Supervisor for Asian and African clergy training as counsellors
- Training London Fire Brigade employees in Leadership Coaching
- Summer school counsellor and teacher in Crimea
- Trauma counsellor at Transport for London
- Set up and led a Couples Therapy course in Cambridge
- Principle Tutor and founding member of the first Gestalt and Integrative Psychotherapy training in Budapest
- Trainer and supervisor of volunteers working with homeless people
- Student counsellor at Greenwich Maritime
- Visiting lecturer at Greenwich Maritime and Brighton Universities