Psychotherapy, Couple Counselling, Supervision and Executive Coaching in Cambridge and Angel Islington, London.
Psychotherapeutic work is relational, it requires genuine personal engagement. Whether I'm working with you as part of a couple for couple counselling, coaching you to become a better leader, or working with you as your psychotherapist, the challenge is always about having new conversations that break us out of ourselves, our stresses, our tired and familiar narratives, heightened emotionality, personal drama and fear.
Psychotherapy and counselling provide a new way of seeing how to relate to ourselves and others, to life and to the world. How we see things often blinds us from seeing anything else.
The relationship is key to the therapy.
The psychotherapist's task is to sit with people in such a way that they do not feel alone.
My writing acts like a boomerang; it’s sent out into the ether occasionally striking someone in such a way that they get in touch with me. I really enjoy discovering it as a creative process, and have found value in it as a resource, and as a way of expressing my approach.
I also work with writers and artists; some of whom have lost their way, whilst others are working towards losing it (there are links to my two blogs in the side-bar, and to my recent publication, ‘Learn to Forget’ in the menu)
My most recent blog is entitled, 'The creation of my life as death'
"I had the uncanny sense of having met my mother for the first time on the morning after her death.
I noticed how I didn’t knock before entering her bedroom; there was now no need. The curtains were open as though she were greeting the morning like any other. As I sat down between her and her view of the window I became aware of scanning her face without knowing why. My thoughts were saying, ‘This is your mother free from hope and fear.’ It was as though I were being introduced to someone I’d known all my life but had never met..."
I’ve been a psychotherapist for over twenty years, mostly in private practice. I offer couple counselling, supervision, training, group therapy, executive and leadership coaching, and organisational development consultancy. My professional experience includes:
- Lead Tutor (since 2011) for the Diploma in Integrative Supervision of Individuals and Groups at The Grove Practice, London
- Tutor for four years on the Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling at the University of Cambridge
- Psychotherapist at the Whittington Hospital NHS Trust for four years
- Trauma counsellor at Transport for London
- Principle Tutor and founding member of the first Gestalt and Integrative Psychotherapy training in Budapest
- Summer school teacher and counsellor in Crimea
- Set up and led a Couples & Intimate Systems course in Cambridge
- Providing executive coaching to leaders in business, science and tech, government, religious organisations, academia and the arts
I'm an accredited psychotherapist with United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy. My practice as a clinical supervisor, couple counsellor, group therapist, trainer and executive coach accord with UKCP's Code of Ethics.